Israel cuts off aid to Gaza as it seeks to change ceasefire deal with Hamas
Israel has stopped the entry of all goods and supplies into Gaza in attempt to pressure Hamas into accepting new ceasefire proposal.
Israel has halted the entry of all humanitarian aid into Gaza and threatened Hamas with more “consequences” if the Palestinian group does not agree to extend the now-ended phase one of their fragile ceasefire agreement.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said on Sunday that “the entry of all goods and supplies to the Gaza Strip will be halted,” accusing Hamas of refusing to accept a framework for the continuation of talks proposed by US special envoy Steve Witkoff.
“Israel will not allow a ceasefire without a release of our hostages,” the statement said. “If Hamas persists in its refusal, there will be additional consequences.”
Hamas accused Israel of trying to derail the existing ceasefire agreement and said its decision to cut off aid was “cheap extortion, a war crime and a blatant attack” on the ceasefire, which took effect in January.
The first phase of the agreement ended on Saturday, but Israel is yet to move ahead with the second phase of the three-phase deal.
Netanyahu’s office said Israel has agreed to a proposal by Witkoff to extend the first phase of the ceasefire for six weeks during Ramadan – the Muslim holy month that began over the weekend – and the Jewish Passover holiday, which ends on April 20.
Netanyahu said Israel could resume military operations in Gaza if negotiations prove to be “ineffective” during this period.
While Witkoff has not made his proposal public, Netanyahu said it would begin with the handing over of half of all remaining living and deceased captives. The rest of the captives would handed over when an agreement reached on a permanent ceasefire.
Netanyahu says Hamas is currently holding 59 captives: 24 alive and 35 dead.
Hamas had earlier rejected Israel’s “formulation” of extending the first phase of the ceasefire during Ramadan and Passover and instead called for the second phase to unfold as originally agreed.
The post Israel cuts off aid to Gaza as it seeks to change ceasefire deal with Hamas appeared first on The Muslim News.