Arab leaders endorse Egypt’s £53 billion Gaza reconstruction plan amidst US opposition

By Harun Nasrullah

(AA, Al Jazeera, The Muslim News):

On Tuesday, at an emergency summit in Cairo, Arab leaders unanimously endorsed an ambitious £53 billion reconstruction plan for Gaza, developed by Egypt. The plan seeks to rebuild Gaza without displacing its Palestinian population, standing in stark contrast to US President Donald Trump’s controversial proposal to transform the region into what he termed the “Middle East Riviera.” However, UK is supporting summit’s proposals.

The plan received praise from Arab states, but the White House quickly rejected it, arguing that it did not address Gaza’s harsh realities. The White House reaffirmed its support for Trump’s vision for Gaza, which calls for rebuilding the region without Hamas. National Security Council spokesperson Brian Hughes emphasized that the region remains devastated, with rubble and unexploded ordnance making it uninhabitable. “Residents cannot live humanely under these conditions,” Hughes stated. Hughes stressed that the focus should be on securing peace and prosperity for Gaza’s people.

Prime Minister, Keir Stammer’s Spokesman told The Muslim News Wednesday on the recommendations by the Arab Summit, “We’ve always been clear that Palestinians must be able to return home. We will continue to engage with Arab partners on achieving sustainable peace and as we previously said we want the parties to engage constructively in negotiating subsequent phase of the deal to ensure its full implementation and permanent end to hostilities and obviously the ultimate goal of rebuilding Gaza, allowing Palestinians to return home”. He clarified that Palestinians will not be forced out of Gaza Strip as rebuilding is being done.

Trump’s proposal, which involves displacing Palestinians to create a U.S.-controlled Gaza, sparked global condemnation. Critics, including Palestinians and international organizations, denounced the plan as a form of ethnic cleansing, fuelling long-standing concerns over the permanent displacement of Palestinians.

EGYPT’S PROPOSAL AND PALESTINIAN SUPPORT

Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who presented the reconstruction plan at the summit, expressed confidence that Gaza’s recovery could be achieved in cooperation with the Palestinians. His proposal was welcomed by Hamas and criticised by both Israel and the US In his summit speech, Sisi stressed that Gaza must be rebuilt without uprooting its population, calling for the establishment of a fund to support this initiative.

“We will not allow the Palestinian people to be displaced. Gaza must be rebuilt without uprooting its people, and our proposal is designed to ensure that,” said President Sisi in his address.

A central aspect of Egypt’s proposal is the creation of an administrative committee consisting of independent, professional Palestinian technocrats. This committee would oversee the distribution of humanitarian aid, manage Gaza’s affairs during the transitional period, and prepare for the eventual return of the Palestinian Authority (PA). The PA’s role has been a point of contention, as Hamas, which has controlled Gaza since 2007, has long been at odds with the PA.

Hamas has expressed its support for Egypt’s administrative committee but clarified that it would not field candidates for the committee unless there is broad national consensus. The group has also emphasised that its consent would be required for the committee’s tasks, members, and agenda, which would be under the PA’s supervision. “We agree to the proposal but only if there is unity among Palestinian factions and our consent is sought for the committee’s composition,” said a Hamas spokesman in a statement.

ONGOING STRUGGLES AND DIVERGING VISIONS

The question of who will govern Gaza post-conflict remains a crucial issue. Since the 2007 Hamas takeover, the PA has been excluded from governance in Gaza, and the rivalry between the two factions has been a significant challenge to Palestinian unity. Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas, in his comments after the summit, expressed support for the Egyptian proposal and called on Trump to back a plan that does not involve displacing Palestinians.

Abbas, whose legitimacy has eroded over time due to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and internal Palestinian dissatisfaction with his leadership, also indicated a willingness to hold presidential and parliamentary elections if conditions allow. His administration is facing growing criticism for being out of touch with the needs of Palestinians.

“I am ready for elections if circumstances permit,” Abbas said, emphasising that the PA remains the only legitimate governing authority in Palestinian territories.

Hamas, on the other hand, continues to reject any disarmament or foreign interference in Gaza. Senior Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri firmly stated that the group’s right to resist occupation is non-negotiable and rejected any attempts to impose foreign projects or administrative control outside of Palestinian governance. “Our right to resist is not up for negotiation, and we will not accept any foreign administration or presence of foreign forces,” Abu Zuhri stated, rejecting the idea of disarmament and foreign control.

STALEMATE OVER RECONSTRUCTION FUNDING

Reconstruction efforts would require significant funding, and oil-rich Gulf states such as Saudi Arabia and the UAE are seen as essential contributors. However, their willingness to finance the effort is contingent upon a series of geopolitical factors, including the presence of Hamas in Gaza.

The UAE, which views Hamas as a threat, has called for the complete disarmament of the group, while Saudi Arabia has expressed concern over the continued armed presence of Hamas, which remains a stumbling block for both the US and Israel.

Professor Sami Al-Arian, a prominent academic from Istanbul Zaim University, shared his views on the importance of the Arab reconstruction plan, noting its detailed roadmap for Gaza’s future. He stated, “The Arab plan is a comprehensive and well-structured response to the devastation in Gaza. It rejects Trump’s plan of forced expulsion and gives Palestinians a framework for rebuilding without displacing them. This is crucial in preserving Palestinian rights and sovereignty.”

Al-Arian also emphasised that the plan does not call for the disarmament of Hamas, which has been a central point of contention with Israel and the US “This plan does not seek to dismantle Hamas; rather, it seeks to integrate all Palestinian factions into a governance structure. There are vague references to having all arms under one authority, likely the Palestinian Authority, but it’s clear that Hamas will remain in the background,” Al-Arian explained.

Egypt’s proposal envisions a comprehensive redevelopment of Gaza, including the construction of a commercial harbour, a technology hub, beach hotels, and an airport. The plan also features extensive maps and AI-generated images of new housing developments and community centres.

However, Israeli officials have voiced strong opposition, insisting that Hamas must be immediately disarmed and that Gaza should not be governed by an entity that still includes the militant group.

[Photo: Relatives mourn bodies of five Palestinians exhumed killed during Israeli bombings now being buried in temporary graves near Kemal Adwan Hospital in Beit Lahia, Gaza on March 5, 2025. Photojournalist: Hasan N. H. Alzaanin/AA]

 

THE INTERNATIONAL DIVIDE AND FUTURE PROSPECTS

As the reconstruction plan moves forward, one critical question remains: will Israel and the US support the Arab-backed initiative? Israeli officials have made clear that their primary objective is the destruction of Hamas’ military capabilities, and they have emphasised that Hamas must be disarmed before any reconstruction efforts can proceed. Some sources close to Hamas claim that only a few thousand of their fighters have been killed in the ongoing conflict, though Israeli officials assert that approximately 20,000 Hamas fighters have died, and that the group has been effectively destroyed as an organised military force.

The ongoing humanitarian crisis in Gaza, with over 48,000 Palestinians dead and more than 111,000 injured since Israel’s military offensive began in October 2023, highlights the urgency of addressing the future of Gaza.

Despite a ceasefire and prisoner exchange in January 2025, the region remains in ruins, with the entry of humanitarian aid blocked by Israel. The reconstruction of Gaza will require substantial international cooperation and support, particularly from Gulf states and international institutions like the World Bank.

Professor Al-Arian concluded, “The Arab reconstruction plan offers a vision of hope and stability for Gaza. But its success will depend on the cooperation of all regional and international actors, and especially on overcoming the challenges posed by the ongoing geopolitical tensions surrounding Hamas.”

The stakes are high as Arab leaders, along with the Palestinians, continue to push for a plan that maintains Gaza’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, rejecting any efforts to displace its people in favour of foreign control.

[Photo: Leaders and country representatives gather for family photo on the sidelines of the emergency Arab summit in Cairo, Egypt on March 04, 2025. Photo: Amiri Diwan of the State of Qatar/Handout/AA]

 

The post Arab leaders endorse Egypt’s £53 billion Gaza reconstruction plan amidst US opposition appeared first on The Muslim News.

0
Open chat
1
SHMA
Assalamualaikum & Welcome to Surrey Heath Muslim Association;