US UK condemn attack on Jerusalem synagogue killing 7

By Michael Hernandez and Rabia Iclal Turan
WASHINGTON (AA): The US condemned on Friday the “absolutely horrific” shooting attack on a synagogue in east Jerusalem that killed at least seven people. The attack came just a day after ten Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces – nine in Jenin, and one in Jerusalem.
“Our thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to those killed and injured in this heinous act of violence,” State Department spokesman Vedant Patel told reporters. “We condemn this apparent terrorist attack in the strongest terms. Our commitment to Israel’s security remains ironclad, and we are in direct touch with our Israeli partners.”
Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned “in the strongest terms” the attack.
“We mourn those killed in the attack, and our thoughts are with the injured, including children,” Blinken said in a separate statement.
“The notion of people being targeted as they leave a house of worship is abhorrent,” he said, adding that it was “particularly tragic” that the attack occurred on International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
“On behalf of the United States, I express our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and wish those injured a full recovery,” he said.
“We are in close contact with our Israeli partners and reaffirm our unwavering commitment to Israel’s security,” he added.
The agency announced Thursday that Blinken will travel to the region, including Israel and the occupied West Bank next week. Friday’s attack is not expected to affect his travel.
UK Foreign Secretary, James Cleverly, reacting to the attack, tweeted: “Appalling reports of a terror attack in Neve Yaakov this evening. To attack worshippers at a synagogue on Holocaust Memorial Day, and during Shabbat, is horrific. We stand with our Israeli friends.” Cleverly did not say anything about the killing of 10 Palestinians earlier by Israeli soldiers.
Israel’s national medical emergency service said seven victims were killed during the attack in the illegal Neve Yaakov Jewish settlement in occupied East Jerusalem. Two additional victims were listed in critical condition, while three others were being treated for injuries listed as serious, moderate to serious and moderate, respectively, it said on Twitter.
Three of the victims were sent to Hadassah Mount Scopus Hospital, according to the medical service.
Police later said the gunman arrived in a car and opened fire at a synagogue.
Police killed the gunman in a shootout as he attempted to flee the scene, it added.
Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir also arrived at the scene where he assessed the situation with police chief Kobi Shabtai.
He was  followed by Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu. The officials held an emergency cabinet meeting.
The Palestinian man who was shot and killed by Israeli police, the suspected shooter in the attack, was identified as 21-year old Khairi Alkam. According to Al Jazeera, Alkam’s grandfather and namesake was stabbed to death by an Israeli settler in 1998.
Israel built the illegal Neve Yaakov settlement in 1967 in occupied East Jerusalem.
The attack came just a day after ten Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces – nine in Jenin, and one in Jerusalem.
Since the beginning of January, 33 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces, including several children, while no Israelis were killed until this attack.
During the Israeli assault in Jenin Thursday, in addition to killing nine Palestinians, the Israeli military also blocked ambulances from reaching the hospital and fired tear gas into a children’s ward at the hospital.

A Palestinian boy who was seriously injured by Israeli gunfire on Wednesday during clashes in the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan and who died Thursday was shackled to his bed despite his critical injury and his family was prevented from seeing him, today said the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS).

Wadee’ Abu Rumouz, 16, was shot in the chest on Wednesday during clashes with Israeli occupation forces in Silwan neighborhood.

He was arrested and taken to a hospital in West Jerusalem where he was chained to his bed and kept under heavy security despite his critical injury. He was also remanded in custody until Monday.

However, Abu Rumouz succumbed last night to his wounds, according to the PPS, which held the Israeli occupation authorities fully responsible for his death and for preventing his family from seeing him while in the hospital and beating them when they tried to see him.

His body remains in Israeli custody.

Additional report form Imemc and Wafa news agency

[Photo: Israeli police seen at the site where 7 people were killed in an armed attack in Jewish settlement at East Jerusalem on January 27, 2023. Photojournalist :Mostafa Alkharouf/AA]

The post US UK condemn attack on Jerusalem synagogue killing 7 appeared first on The Muslim News.

Open chat
Assalamualaikum & Welcome to Surrey Heath Muslim Association;